1-3 months old No response to sudden sound such as banging of door or ringing of doorbell.
4-6 months old Unable to locate the sound source.
7-9 months old Do not look at the person being mentioned, e.g. “Where is Uncle Tom?”.
10-12 months old No response to their names being called or frequently used words or phrases, e.g. “No”.
- Delayed response to sound
- Cannot hear clearly what others are saying
- Show difficulty in locating the sound source
- Pay more than usual attention to speakers’ facial expression and lip movement while listening
- Give irrelevant answers or misinterpret instructions
- Request for repetition during conversation
- Show poorer ability to understand speech ` in a noisy environment
- Tend to turn up the sound volume of television
- incorrect pronunciation
- Delayed language development
- Poor attention in class
- Frequent use of gestures to express themselves, e.g. pointing to what they want
- Easily irritated as a result of communication difficulty.